Sub: Dos and Dont's for better Vigilance Administration
- WHILE INITIATING PROPOSAL/ TENDER PAPER FORMULATION -
- Do not split work to keep value of work within powers of a particular executive.
- Prepare Estimate based on rates obtained from manufacturers or their authorized
agents. Labour cost may be worked out realistically.
- Material/ Labour estimates of other departments should be got prepared by
concerned department with approval of competent authority
- Ensure C. A. has sanctioned the estimate before calling of tender.
- Specify eligibility criteria very clearly in tender documents.
- Define works of similar nature very clearly in the tender documents.
- Frame tender specifications correctly. Detailed descriptions, drawings, references,
IS specification, quantity etc., should be mentioned in the Tender Schedule.
- Discourage 90% payments where the contracts are mostly material oriented.
Give only about 65% of material value for the supply portion in order to make the
contractor complete the work early.
- TENDER ISSUAL -
- Place a copy of Newspaper cuttings & NIT in the tender file
- Do not alter eligibility criteria once the tender has been issued without proper
notification to all concerned.
- Never change the eligibility criteria or its evaluation procedure once the tender
has been opened.
- Ensure that in case of open tender full and equal opportunity has been given to
all the tenderers.
- TENDER EVALUATION
- Do not entertain letters /offers from tenderer/s after opening of tenders
- Ensure that all special conditions having financial implications are evaluated
correctly to arrive at inter se positions.
- Ensure arithmetical accuracy of the tender offer.
- Place credential certificates on the tender file.
- Verify credentials if issued from other departments.
- Ensure that the partnership deed of firm is legally valid.
- Study holding pattern of partnership firm or Joint venture firm to assess their
- Do not advise the tender committee about the suitability or otherwise of an offer
before deliberation by TC.
- Examine vendor capability properly with a view to assessing his ability to
complete the order/ work.
- Do not give undue emphasis on past experience in open tenders if eligibility
criteria are not specified
- Ensure that the TC has addressed all observations raised in the briefing note
and/ or the Technical Note.
- The TC should deliberate in detail about free items, unworkable items and rates
including unusually high rate items.
- Adopt correct LAR concerning to similar type of work/ item. Place on record
any adjustments done on the LAR for the intervening period, if applicable, while discussing
the reason ability of rates.
- Ensure that specifications and rates of Tender have not undergone any major
change after invitation of tenders.
- Ensure that before overlooking an L1 offer, detailed reasons are recorded and
if the bidder has failed to submit his credentials, documentation asking him to submitted
credentials is available.
- Ensure that the tender committee minutes contain all the relevant information.
- Release the letter of acceptance (LOA) with Accounts vetting.
- WORK EXECUTION -
- A joint inventory has to be made along with Stock verifier for the material to be
released, before commencement of the work.
- Ensure all released materials are taken into account before work completion.
- Ensure reconciliation of the material and affect the recoveries for shortage if any
before closing any contract.
- Ensure that the material used/ supplied is of proper quantity and quality and duly
inspected by the competent authority, if applicable. Do not give exemption from final
inspection for pre-inspected materials.
- Ensure to get the corrigendum approved by competent authority for any
variation in quantities of work/ supply.
- Do not change the supervisors frequently for particular work of large magnitude.
- Ensure prior sanction of competent authority before executing additional
quantities in excess of 25% of the schedule.
- The consignee must check 100% work done by contractor and record the details
in the Measurement Book with the name of the item inspected, its location and quantity
- While conducting test check, record the item, location, date of check etc. in the
Measurement Book. The percentage of items to be tested is applicable on each item, not
on the overall percentage.
- Check the serial numbers printed on each page of the Measurement Book and
certify the correctness of the same on the inner cover of the front page.
- Be brief and to the point, to avoid any kind of litigation at a later stage.
- PAYMENT RELATED ISSUES -
- Do not make any payment for any part of a composite item.
- Do not make advance payment to suppliers on qualified Railway receipts and
without a proper inspection certificate.
- Do not pass contractors' bill for works if not supported by signature of authorised
- Impose a penalty on the contractor who is delaying execution of work on flimsy
- Ensure that insurance of a proper amount is made for the cost of material and
equipments to be installed by contractor.
- A sufficient amount of money must be available in the final bill to affect all the
recoveries. Sufficient care should be exercised before making the pre-final bill to ensure
- In the event of contract failure float risk tender without changing specification,
quantities and finalize the tender expeditiously, ensuring that recoveries are made against
the losses, if any, from the defaulter.
- MISCELLANEOUS -
- Ensure that thefts and pilferage from Rolling Stock are promptly reported.
- Do not permit the handling losses of oil products.
- Ensure appropriate write-off sanctions from competent authorities for losses.
- Do not forget to put the date under your signature.